How To Report Senior, Elder And Retirement Financial Abuse And Exploitation — South Florida FINRA Arbitration, Litigation And Probate Estate Attorney Russell L. Forkey, Esq.
How to Report, Senior, Elder And Retirement Financial Abuse And Exploitation
In addition to reporting the financial or other abuse to non-participating family members, most states have agencies to which elder financial and other abuse can be reported. For example, Florida law requires that any person who knows, or has reasonable cause to suspect, that a vulnerable adult has been or is being abused, neglected, or exploited shall immediately report such knowledge or suspicion to the Florida Abuse Hotline on the toll-free telephone number, 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873). The TDD (telecommunications device for the deaf) number for reporting adult abuse is 1-800-955-8770. Vulnerable adults are persons 18 and over (including senior adults 60 and over) who, because of their age or disability, may be unable to adequately provide for their own care or protection. The Florida Abuse Hotline accepts calls 24 hours per day, seven days a week. The abuse hotline counselor is required to let the person calling know whether the information provided has been accepted as a report for investigation.
When you call the abuse hotline to make a report, have this information ready:
1. Victim’s name, address or location, approximate age, race, and sex
2. A brief description of the adult victim’s disability or infirmity
3. Signs or indications of harm or injury, including a physical description if possible
4. Name, address, and telephone number of any possibly responsible person/ perpetrator
5. Relationship of the possibly responsible person/perpetrator to the victim, if possible. If the relationship is unknown, a report may still meet requirements for investigation
6. As the reporter, your name, address, and telephone number. This information is never given out. The reporter may choose to remain anonymous
For further information and discussions relative to senior, elder and retirement financial abuse and exploitation, please visit our website at www.forkeylaw.com or our blog at www.floridastockfraudblog.com
With extensive courtroom, arbitration and mediation experience and an in-depth understanding of elder abuse, exploitation and securities law, our firm provides all of our clients with the personal service they deserve. Handling cases worth $25,000 or more, we represent clients throughout Florida and across the United States, as well as for foreign individuals that invested in U.S. banks or brokerage firms. Contact us to arrange your free initial consultation.